Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I forgot to explain...

Oop! I forgot to explain a few of the pictures from the last post! I wanted to point out the rich embroidery that looks like a painting of a woman. It is amazingly detailed. Our guide we had in Chengdu, Sichuan brought us to this institute of Chengdu brocade and embroidery where they still produce embroidery and brocade by hand. Chengdu is considered the original place in China for brocade and embroidery! It's still one of the main three locations it is made. We bought a bit for ourselves here. It is amazing b/c while one person is working putting the threads in place on a large loom like device another person is standing on a higher level of the loom machine having to place different colored threads in place depending on what color comes next in the pattern. They have actually memorized the patterns so that they do not use a pattern to look at. How they can remember exactly when and how fast to put a thread color in place for the weaver I have no idea!
 
I couldn't resist showing a picture of the unusual and unexpected items that show up in your dinner over here. We had ordered some chicken congee for our boy since his diet is so limited b/c of diarrhea and after we fed him I put some in a bowl for myself to eat. After eating some I stirred it and this chicken foot came up to greet me! Well David had no appetite for the porridge after that and honestly neither did I so we threw out the rest. Lovely. At least it was cheap! Ick.

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to say Hello. I saw your post on RQ but am not signed in there yet. I had to chuckle a little because your post was the exact post as mine a year ago. I had to travel without hy husband ( my Mom did go with me and was great but not the same). I did not enjoy Chi*na).I cried every day! It was overwhelming, the smells made me sick, the food made me sick,we could not communicate with anyone... And then we met our daughter who was 3,almost4. We took right to us,slept well,not whiney at all, but she had Never been told No before and had a Very strong personality, which totally clashed with mine. I remember lying in bed at night missing my husband and wondering what in the world I was thinking! After we were home, I remeber thinking "I am totally faking this bonding and love", but I knew I had to until I felt it. I prayed for the love I needed to make her feel like my daughter and me as her mother. And here we are a year later, and I am totally in love with my daughter- this strong willed little girl. I had to come to the realization that this is who she is and although I should guide her and help her have self control and make good decisions, I should not change who she is. Best wishes! Love, Kim
    www.catecomeshome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete